At the office of Retina Group of Washington – Maryland – Bowie, we specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of a range of disorders affecting the health and quality of your vision. One of the most important parts of the eye is the retina, the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye that allows us to see. Being aware of conditions that can affect it might just save your vision in the future.
- Macular Degeneration: Occurs when the macula begins to break down causing blind spots in your central vision.
• Symptoms include blurred or “fuzzy” vision central vision, difficulty reading or seeing details, straight lines that appear distorted to you.
- Retinal Detachment: Occurs when the retina lifts off the back wall of the eye, stopping the flow of blood and oxygen to the retina, resulting in cells dying off. A retinal detachment should be treated as a medical emergency.
• Symptoms include a sudden increase in floaters (spots in your field of vision), flashes of light, as well as a darkening of peripheral (side) vision.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Occurs when uncontrolled blood sugar levels damage the tiny blood vessels in the retina.
• Symptoms include floaters, blurred vision, impaired color vision, and vision loss.
- Glaucoma: Occurs from damage to optic nerve, which connects the eye to the brain, most often caused by abnormally high eye pressure
• Symptoms include eye pain, blind spots in the peripheral or central vision, blurred vision, and eye redness.
You should always report any changes in your vision to your eye doctor especially if you experience any loss of vision or sudden changes. At the office of Retina Group of Washington – Maryland – Bowie, our top priority is your good vision health and we’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of skilled retinal eye care. For more information on our office and the many services we provide, give us a call today.